If you are tired of eating yet another highly engineered food, give these prize-winning energy bars a chance. They’re easy to make, less expensive than commercial energy bars, and they taste yummy.
- 150g butter or margarine
- 150g dark brown soft sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 250g rolled jumbo oats
- 40g sultanas or raisins
- 40g mixed italian peel
- 40g dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4.
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter and sugar have melted
- Stir in the oats, cranberries, mixed peel and sultanas until coated.
- Pour into a 20cm square baking tin. The mixture should be about 2-3cm thick.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden. Cut into squares, then leave to cool completely before removing from the tin.